Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Now that the dust has settled...

Sometimes things don't work out the way you plan. Especially if you are a Type AA+ perfectionist having a bout of optomism. Oh well... everything happens for a reason.


Triathlon report:

I finished.

The swim went well, actually. I didn't have to stop, except to turn breast-stroke around the buoys. And I didn't get horribly off course more than twice. That, for me, is a very successful swim. Some people might disagree, since it took me 47 minutes to swim 1.2 miles, but for me, that's fabulous.

The bike was going great; I averaged 18 mph by mile 40 (of 62), and that's after knocking out the 'big hill' which wasn't that bad at all. Then, just after I waved to my studly boyfriend who was on his way back to the transition area, I started to get a side ache. It morphed into an alien that started playing darts in my peritoneum. Eventually it hurt so much to breathe I ended up with asthma (once you get it, it's with you for the day) and had to stop and recoup... while people passed me who I rightfully had already passed. (the good thing about getting out of the water last is that you know where you stand... you just have to climb your way back up one biker at a time). So after I kicked the alien out of my abdomen, I continued on the bike at 2/3 the speed I was goign before so that I wouldn't get asthma or an alien again.

The run started off great. I forgot my race belt with my number and had to have one of the volunteers go get it. Then, during the whole run, the little side ache remnants were just waiting for an opportunity to torture me again. Anytime I ate, picked up the pace, or ran downhill, I felt like someone was trying to sew my stomach to my lungs without anesthetic. I also wrestled with asthma the whole time. I did get to see my hot boyfriend again, when he was 9 miles down and i had 9 miles to go. Oh, and I didn't eat anything for the last 3 hours of the race.

So, I suppose all considered, 7 hours and 7 minutes isn't a bad time for a half iron man. Tom, of course, did fabulously (as i expected) and came in at 6:15. I'm glad he had a good race, since I kinda dragged him into it. It was a good experience for both of us.... although don't ask me if I'd do it again. I need some more time to forget how painful it was.


Other things going on right now:

  • Exams are approaching rapidly. Starting to feel the familair stressful panic that has become so familar.
  • Went to the denist and he is going to give me a free nightguard because I grind my teeth so bad. That's gonna be seeeexxxxxyyyyyyy.
  • Didn't make it onto the admissions committee, am still recovering from that a little bit. Once again, had my hopes up. I didn't want to be on their stupid committee anyway.
  • Tom has a week from hell this week. Then friday we are going to a 'heaven and hell' party (appropriately...). Next week is also going to be awful for him... and then it's my birthday and then he's leaving all in one weekend. I'm storing up hugs lately... this is going to be one big empty house for a month. :(
  • Thursday in Anterior Seg lab we get to practice puncturing a cornea on a pig eyeball. I hear it's loads of fun (mostly because we don't have to do it to eachother, for once). And yes, there is a context where partially (not all the way thru!) puncturing the cornea is a GOOD thing
So there it is. And now I can move on and get through the week.. a little more humble than I started, but probably better off in the long run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis, I'm sorry I didn't read this earlier. Sounds pretty brutal. You're a trooper! My hero!