Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Naxos: our favorite so far...











This island is AWESOME! First, a few more words about Mykanos, in retrospect:
  • OVerpriced and pathetically mediocre food
  • Party central for frats and bimbos
  • We were SO LUCKY to meet a couple on the way to our hostel that is our age, and our party level. We may see them in santorini for a night as well... they are a great pair, Aussie and a Kiwi, currently living in London and traveling the world. Those people know how to travel...

Now, about NAxos. HERE they have great greek food. And they are known for their cheeses, which are outstanding and gourmet. Paul and I got in last night, had a mind-blowing dinner downt the street from our hostel (by the way: our hostel is more like a studio, it has a mini-fridge, kitchenette, blowdryer (YAH!) and a balcony. It's amazing). After dinner, we wandered around and planned our attack for the next day. We got some small cheese samples at a fancy cheese shop, and found a place to rent bikes. Today we picked up the bikes, piping hot fresh bread, fruit, and lots of water and we set out for the mountain top. We made it to the small town just below, still a 2500 ft climb. THen we descended for a ride along the beach, dirt roads. By then, we were sticky, tired, and sore... we jumped in the ocean along the way which was awesome!!! Then dragged ourselves home for the last few painful miles. Our hind ends are glad to be out of the saddle... and Paul is crashed out back at the hostel while I wander the streets and look for another book to read (I'm burning through them). This AM I woke at 6 and sat on the balcony, drinking tea, writing postcards, reading and knitting. All at once! No, I'm kidding....

Here is some quality images from the day...



The only helmet that fit me was a kids helmet. Paul had to find one especially large and obselete, consequently we both look like we are fresh off the special bus...


I'm really excited that I can load pics off my camera at random places! Hopefully more pics to come. We'll probably check email pretty regularly, we are still addicted...

Well, time to go meander off and enjoy the island. Life is rough...;)

No comments: