Thursday, May 01, 2008

Current events

I'm not sure what it is about my situation that makes it hard to convey exactly what I'm going through. I guess it doesn't sound too bad from the general description... graduation, traveling to europe, moving to new york, starting a residency... but there are so many details that are involved. And when I sit down and try to actually explain what it is that is making me so busy, i find it just stressed me out to realize the lost time in verbalizing and complaining when I could instead be doing something. I recently realized how cumbersome and tedious and pain-in-the-bum the credentialing process is... paperwork to fill out for SUNY, and for the state of NY, including a physical exam. GOOD thing I just canceled my health insurance, figuring I could go a couple months w/out coverage.

The saving grace of EVERYTHING is that today, I had the day off. I actually filled up a solid 8 hours today of just errands... and I didn't get everything done on my list. Although I experienced the quickest DMV and registration experience of my life! That was first on the list of things to-do, get colorado plates and tags for my car and a colorado license for me (right before leaving the state, haha). It was like someone had actually greased the wheels today, I just stepped right in, barely had to wait. Course, getting there 15 min before they open helps... and so on my 'day off' i still left the house when I leave for work. But that's okay, i really can't complain. I was so productive today that I was pretty thrilled with myself...

My current rotation, in Fort Collins: getting old. Really sick of being taken for granted. There is only one person there who appreciates me at ALL, which is nice, but everyone else acts like they'd be better off without me. Would their office be better off without the $6372.50 that I brought in by seeing all those medicaid patients? The doc claims it's pro bono work to see medicaid, which makes me so mad i think my ears are about to pop off in a fit of self-contained rage. Anyway, I guess maybe I'm overreacting... I mean, the word 'intern' is basically synonymous with 'lacky', right? I only have to be somebody's slave for another week, and then I will at least be a slave with a doctorate. I only hope that I actually get to make my own patient decisions during my residency in NY, because that's why I'm going in the first place.


For those that are just tuning in, here is the updated schedule:

May 8th: Kira's wedding to her soul-mate Travis. I take the whole day off from work and attempt numerous feats of emotional acrobatics to create the aura of calm surrounding the stressed bride. Wish us all luck.

May 9th: Last day of rotations. FINALLY!!!

May 14th: Paul and I leave for Portland. Capstone courses on thursday and friday, whoopie.

May 16th: Graduation Banquet - the bridesmaid dress is already getting a second use

May 17th: Graduation Day. Morning event: they hand us our hoods. Afternoon event: they put on our hoods. Evening: dinner with family of Paul and I, and my brave friends Greg and Eden.

May 18th: Return to Fort Collins, CO

May 20th: Leave for EUROPE!!
  • 5/20 - 6/1 Greece
  • 6/1 - 6/15 Italy
  • 6/15 - 6/19 Amsterdam
June 19th: Return from Europe

June 20something: Pack up Paul's car and Paul's dad's truck, drive 2 days across country to New York, move into an apartment we've never seen.

July 1st: 1st day of our Vision Therapy Rotation. New life as doctors. Hopefully, some respect as well.

I will be checking my email while in europe (there are internet cafe's everywhere!) and all along, but I will generally be scatterbrained during the next couple months. Phone number should stay the same, I hope. The one thing that doesn't change. As exciting as the next few months will be, I am also looking forward to settling in to one place for a year. It's about time, I'm starting to feel like I'm on the run from the law or something.

For fun: wholesome pic of me and Paul... man, I'm short.

By the way, it was 15 degrees when this picture was taken. We may look like we are smiling, but actually we are grimacing against the cold. :D thanks Kira, it turned out awesome.

1 comment:

greg said...

There are internet cafes everywhere, but, often you have to pay, and the keyboards over there aren't quite right. They're actually pretty freakin' maddening!