First of all, I wish all campgrounds were like Smith. You have a parking lot and in the middle is a tree'ed area with picnic tables; the only place you can have an open fire or camp stove. You walk about 100 yards in to the camping area, where there are no marked campgrounds, only areas with fewer rocks. You just plop down wherever, and we didnt' even have much trouble rolling in at 10:30pm finding a nice site. The place is so clean and well maintained, and they have recycling bins and decent bathrooms. And, the bathrooms out by the climbing area are self-composting and stink-free. amazing!
Saturday Paul led 3 routes, which i find incredible since I can't climb higher than the first clip without being terrified of falling, even thought he rope will catch me (eventually, after about 5 or 10 feet...). So I'll leave the leading to him... he mostly led 5.8 and 5.9 routes, but we were able to climb a 5.10a and 5.10c without leading. People are so NICE there! Always willing to help out a couple rookie climbers who can't get to the first bolt.
I love the timer function on my camera. Here's a beautiful example of the 'push the button and run' picture in action:
Here's an example of when the timed picture goes wrong.
If you have ever had anyone step on your foot while wearing climbing shoes, you understand the pain in this man's face. If you have ever met me, you understand the expression of joyous oblivion in my face. After Paul regained feeling in his foot, we were both able to laugh about this picture.
Click HERE for more pictures of Smith Rock
What else has been going on lately? Glad you asked. I have been doing more exams at work, and things are going pretty well. I can do a full exam in an hour now! That is, only if the patient is a quick responder and has no problems. Yah! However, here is what I have to work with; my WWII phoropter
I have too much time on my hands during the week, so I decided to make a parfait-thingy for a girl's b-day at work. I bought some freshly-picked raspberries from a fruit stand on my way home, layered them with angel food cake and whipped cream (heavy, heavy whipped cream), and the end result is DELICIOUS:
Today I get to do an exam on a family of three kids; ages 3, 5, and 6. All in the room at the same time. It could go wonderfully, or it could be a disaster. Either way, it will be an adventure. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment