Monday, October 12, 2009

Engaged!! It's true!!!

We are now home from our trip to Durango. It was successful on many counts: I bought a good amount of vision therapy equipment and I am excited to clean it up and use it. Also, Paul finally popped the question! Here's the story...

After we did the VT equipment buying, we went into Durango to get some lunch. The waiter gave us directions to a network of trails, so off we went. We took a picture of the trail map, which came in handy when we got lost at the many trail intersections.


The trail was great, and predominantly a mountain biking trail. I think I was talking about mountain biking the whole way up, the way the trail twisted and turned it was almost a sin not to be on a mountain bike. A great hike...


So we see a nearby mountain peak, and we can see it on the map, so we made that our destination. After a couple wrong turns, we were almost at the top. The trail got ridiculously steep at the top, with a precarious drop off to one side... kinda freaky. We scrambled up on our hands and feet and were quite relieved when we made it to the windy top.

There is the peak in question:

Precarious drops on both sides... moms, avert your eyes...

Once we caught our breath at the top and took a few pictures, Paul grabbed the camera and bade me to come closer to him. Then he said a few sweet words, got down on one knee and proposed. I think I eventually said YES after a few 'ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh' and some happy tears. Then I made him take lots of pictures of the ring, which is BEAUTIFUL!!! It's slightly big, but it will stay on for now until I get it sized.



We went down the other side of the mountain, which looked better at first. Turns out, it wasn't much better. We slid down some of the time... then we took a wrong turn and ended up in brush and brambles... and eventually back on the trail. Of course, nothing is easy, but it makes for a good story.

Getting ready for the descent...

Yep, sliding down the mountain.
The cabin we stayed in over the two nights was spectacular... everything you could think of that you would need would be in that cabin. Pics below. It was right near the creek, we could hear it from our window. There was also a hot tub which was soooo nice...

So that concludes our weekend in Durango. I also had a wonderful birthday before heading out there, and had a great time going out with friends on friday night to dinner and a comedy show (clean, improv comedy! Who knew!!). A few more pics, if you aren't tired of them...

Rotoscope that I bought for VT... Traditional spice tins for indian cooking from Greg.... glasses boxers from Kira... .and flowers (also chocolates) from Paul. YAH!!!

1 comment:

greg said...

Wonderful! But, I gotta say, that rotoscope looks dangerous. It's kinda 'steampunky', but, not in a way that I'd be like 'OOOOO, steampunky!' should my eye doctor tell me to put my face in it... It actually kinda reminds me of the present that Invader Zim gave Keef in the "Bestest Friend" episode...