Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Mid-week review: the relentless hiking

Paul and I planned a fast paced, outdoorzy schedule for our week off (well, mostly me... you know how I love to plan things). Right now it's the middle of that week, wednesday night at 10:04pm, and Paul is already in bed. I hope we can make it through the rest of the week before our legs give out on us or he falls asleep trying.

But first, let me backup. The end of clinic: it was the most upset I have ever been to leave a job. I wanted to stay so badly! And saying goodbye to my vision therapy patients was so heartbreaking! But i know they are in good hands... I just want to see them graduate and watch the improvements each week! It's astonishing how quickly some of them improve. I am just thrilled to have had the opportunity to work with Dr.V and Dr.E and the wonderful staff at that office. It has given me a goal to keep in sight and a role model for the kind of doctor that I want to become! But first I have a just a couple more things to learn (insert sarcasm here).

After clinic on friday, we went to a BBQ with Paul's clinic mates and some of their friends. It was a blast, but a little too much so for me. Paul really bonded with the girls in his clinic (not that way, silly) and it's really neat to know that your boyfriend is so great he can get along with 3 strong and independent women. He's a different kind of ladies man... ;)

Saturday: 30 mile bike ride.

Sunday: Climbing at the rock gym, then later I picked up Greg from the bus station for a night of Greg-and-Leanna time. It was really fun, he crashed on our lumpy couch, and the next morning we drove him back to Corvallis. It's so nice having so many close friends on this stretch of I-5!! After that, we went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. It was a blast! We were there just in time to see the feeding of all the animals, but the sea lions were the greatest. They have those guys trained better than most dogs are. After the aquarium, we tried to find a place to sleep and eat. Paul took me out to a wonderful restaurant in Oceanside (Roseanna's Oceanside Cafe) that is worth a 3 hour drive, the food is so amazing. Really, it's the sauces that do it. Outstanding. We had a nice romantic time at the beach being silly and taking pictures with flowers before dinner. Gotta work up an appetite somehow.













































Finding a place to sleep was a little stressful. All the beach sites were full (it's MONDAY?!?!), so we camped along Hwy 101 at a cute little privately owned campground. We pretty much slept on an island where two streams come together! Turned out okay, after all....
The next day we decided to do our hike at the beach that we were planning, but cut it back from 10 miles down to 5 miles to save our legs since we are planning an ambitious backpacking trip. We don't' want to wear ourselves out too early in the week! So we parked at the top of Cape Lookout, hiked down 2.5 miles to the beach, read at the beach and had a wonderful time.

We hiked back up (must have been about 1000 ft climb) and just as we got the parking lot in view we had a horrible realization. The keys are on the beach, sitting innocently in the sand. It was at that time I convinced Paul to take up trail running, and we enjoyed the 2.5 mile downhill at speeds close to 6 mph. 30 minutes later we were at the beach, keys in hand. YAH!!!! They didn't sink into the sand!!!

Now, after a 7.5 mile hike/run, we had to go back up. That's the part that really sucked. And, unfortunately, we are still sore from that little 10 mile endeavor. And we are planning a 24 mile backpacking trip at Eagle Creek starting tomorrow. Oh, and did I mention we went rock climbing at Mt. Hood today? (your answer: yes, we are insane... but hey, we have to make the most of this vacation, dangit!)

The rope is so dirty...
yes, that was fun... we took it easy, only did 3 routes. It was a gorgeous day to be up in the mountains, not a fun day to be sitting in a 90 degree apartment. (Paul cooked lasagna when we got home... it was delicious, and worth heating up the apartment for)

Tomorrow we will conquer Eagle Creek! So if you don't hear from us that is why. And if you still don't hear from us over the weekend (we will be back saturday) it's because we are sleeping off the exhaustion. Or because we are lost in Eagle creek somewhere... hopefully not the latter.

No comments: