Wednesday, March 15, 2006

in the midst of madness

Okay, so i'm a little slow with news lately... here's what's been happening lately:

On monday I participated in something called the Knowledge Bowl... basically a bunch of optometry questions kind of like jeopardy, but you don't have to answer in the form of a question (although Dr. Citek does bear a striking resemblance to Alex Trabec...). Everyone was welcome to participate, and i got talked into doing it even though I didn't want to. Well, somehow I won the darn thing.... it was a close match, but i got the final question where you bet points, and no one else got it. So anyway, the consequences are both good and kinda scary. The good part is i get $500 towards attending the AOSA conference this summer!!! It's a great conference, lots of classes and reviews for boards and meeting of doctors and other optometry students. But also... I have to compete in the National Knowledge bowl; one person from every school competes, and they all care a lot more than our school does. It's a big deal, and really stressing me out to be on stage with my brain on display. Yikes! Oh well, at least my trip is pretty much paid for...

Here's the fundraiser that I got off the ground over the past few weeks (it's up and running on it's own now... they grow up so fast!). Called 'Pink Eye', we decorate the door of a professor with this gaudy stuff and they have to pay us (AOSA, a pretty big organization known for obnoxious fundraisers) to get rid of it and give it to someone else. It's pretty fun for everyone involved...












I recently had some visitors. It looks like this ant was relying purely on it's sense of vision instead of smell to find food.... big mistake, little anty. Always trust your nose... vision is overrated anyway.







Next week is going to be incredibly busy. I have two quizzes, two tests, and two proficiencies. It's going to be hard to keep sane, and to keep from dropping off the face of the earth over the next month. But I wouldn't have my sanity if i didn't have family and friends!! So even if i'm a total flake and spazzy and grouchy, please keep calling and emailing and text messaging. There's an end to all this madness, I am told. And, when it all comes down to it, I love this stuff. It's just a little much right now... but other than that, life couldn't be better. I'm just hanging on until summer when I can wear my white coat (ie practice in clinic on real patients!) and have some more time to live life outside of school. If i can just make it until May.... past clinical proficiencies, tests and finals....

...but until then... I get to look forward to seeing KIRA!!!!! Some good sister-bonding over spring break is sure to get me through this mess. Only 8 more days!!! I can't wait to see you sugarplum!!!

No comments: