Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Major presentations: DONE

I've been meaning to post since Major presentations have been over, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and have a chunk of time to do it. And it looks like that isn't going to happen, so I'll just blog in chunks. (that sounds SO wrong... sorry)

MAJOR PRESENTATIONS:
They went well and they are DONE. I went first, and the room was pretty full. My voice didn't crack, I didn't talk too fast, and when I was done I got lots of positive feedback (probably because I was the first one so they didn't know what to compare it to). Paul went right after me and he was fabulous! He got SO many laughs, he was natural and comfortable up there and his presentation was interesting and comprehesible. He even demonstrated the difference between head nodding and a head tremor (in two different types of nystagmus). At the end, he had 4 questions from the audience, all of which he fielded with confidence and ease. He was so good that other people who didn't see it (there are always 2 presentations running at the same time) said they wished they had went to his instead. People were telling him that he should teach... yep, that good. :) Can you tell I'm so proud???

After our presentation on wednesday we went out with some of the folks that had already presented... everyone did so well, the day went smooth and there weren't any major flubs. The next day were the remainder of hte presentations, which were also great, and after that we ALL went out for dinner and drinks. It was really great to spend some social time with the residents again, they are so supportive and wonderful; we really feel like a family. I can say without a doubt that hte other residents are the best thing about doing this residency. It's going to be sad to say goodbye in 3 months...

CHIROPRACTER
So I've been having some neck problems all last week, kinda came up with the stress of presentations. Some kind of muscle spasm or inflammation or something, can't turn my head and it really really hurts to lay down (so cruel). Friday morning I woke up with such a painful neck, it just wasn't getting better. I went out on a limb and found a chiropracter. I found a place on my insurance's list of providers, just randomly called this guy based on location. Turns out he is really really nice! He has a massage therapist there, and he incorporates physical therapy and natural medicine as well. Really nice guy, really quality care. He even cut back my copay so I could come a couple times a week without breaking the bank. I bought a new pillow from him with water in the bottom (it's called a chiroflow, it's awesome) and he did some ultrasound and electrostim and ice in the office. After doing ice and advil for 2 days, it finally got to the point where I can move my head again, and it's getting back to normal. If anyone in NYC needs a good chiropracter, go to Robert Kaiser at 450 7th Ave!!! He's great.

Well, that's where i'm off to right now, an early morning appt. More to come later...

Also: Courtney (Paul's cousin) is coming in tomorrow to visit for a few days!!! I'm super excited to take her around town. I haven't seen nearly as much of NY as I should by now...

No comments: