Northwest Airlines: incompetent.
So, Paul and flew out toward NYC Feb 12th (seems like a year ago). We were on the plane, taxing down the runway getting ready to take off. Apparently, some heat sensor was malfunctioning, and we had to go back to the gate. 5 hours later, we still haven't left the gate. Paul and I got changed to a Delta flight that was 4 gates down, really near by, a direct flight w/out a layover. Super! I thought everything was finally going good. They said our bags would 'probably' make it to NY, and naive as I am, I believed them. As you can guess, our luggage didn't make it. (HOW HARD IS IT To move it from one plane to another that is 50 feet away?!) Again, we were told that no problem, the shops on 5th Ave are open until 10pm. So, tram ride and 1 hour subway ride later (to avoid $60 taxi ride), we arrived on 5th ave. A combination of slush on the ground and slush falling from the sky and wind blowing it all in our face. Paul only had a long sleeve shirt and a jacket. I was on the phone with Greg trying to find nordstrom. No luck, with any of it. It was 9:30pm and everything was closed and we were freezing, wet, and and our feet were soggy ice cubes. We grabbed a cab to our hostel, and as we drove away I dealt with the idea of going to my first interview in JEANS.
In actuality, it wasn't that bad. The interview, i mean. And I got to go on a shopping spree at the local Rite Aid store, which was fun i guess. Makeup, soap, deoderant, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. At the Pediatric interview I was thrilled to run into Deborah (previous Fresno VA intern with me, so we've been in the trenches together), and the next day I ran into Nancy (another Fresno VA survivor). If they both end up at SUNY with me I'll be so excited! But I'm getting ahead of myself. Both the peds interview and the VT interview went pretty well, the VT one was exhausting b/c we had to wait around all day to do three 20min interviews. The third day Paul had his interview at the Northport VA and that went really well! And he didn't puke on the train ride! Bonus...
We had a wonderful time in New York. French food the first night, Italian the second night, Turkish food the third, found a wonderful belgian bar and racked up a tab larger than dinner, saw a broadway show 'Curtain's, and enjoyed walking through 1/3 of the MOMA before we left on Saturday. It was a whirlwind experience, but all in all, wonderful. We fell in love with New York and I'm already dreaming of our itsy bitsy apartment in Brooklyn and daily subway rides while knitting and a challenging residency surrounded by residents and doctors from whom I have so much to learn. YAH!!!!
Here are some pics from the NY weekend:
Hey! Look! We're in times square! And it's friggin cold!!!

The subway stop near our hostel. They have unique and old-style tile work that makes you feel like it's 1925!

Subway silliness. Inspired by Broadway? Hm....
Time square. Even the police station is in neon lights!
The side of this building is actually a gimongous TV screen with ads. How futuristic... and terrifying.

Eventually, I'll get caught up with my storytelling. Now I'm only a week behind. I'll post soon about my trip to LA this past weekend, for interview #3.
I used to like to travel, but I think 4th year has beaten it out of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment