Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Wait, strike that, reverse it....





Some pics from a hike Paul and I did a couple weeks ago... it was super cold, but so beautiful to see all the leaves in their bright yellows and reds.
After this little hike we went to a beer festival in hood river... we were walking around in the crowd, and I happened to remark that it really felt like we were going to run into someone we know. But, we're in hood river, an hour from portland, so that's really unlikely... then Paul exclaims, "holy crap!!! Leland?!?!?!?!" Yep, he ran into some friends. From HIGH SCHOOL in colorado. That he's known since he was 6 years old. Wild, i tell ya... so we hung out with their huge group of people: transplated-from-the-east-coast, green-minded, bike-riding, cool-and-friendly-as-can-be. We ended up going with them to a show that night... guys in red jump suits jumping around and singing. It was fun! As random saturday nights often are...

So that was almost two weeks ago now. What has happened since then? Well, in reference to the above title... Remember that rotation site I was supposed to go to for 4th rotation, but it got cancelled? Well, the doc who was sent to afganistan is now back, and by some huge stroke of luck, I am able to switch back to that site. So, make a note... mid-february through april I will be in Colorado Springs at the Air Force Academy! Doing eye exams on incredibly healthy folks and giving -2.25D glasses away like they are candy. (Mmmm.... minus)

This is a good thing. I'm really excited to have my site back. It's about 45 min from Paul's site, which is the biggest bonus I could think of. We will be able to see eachother every weekend, if not more frequently! And we will only have to do long distance for 3 months, which makes it much easier to do. But, nothing in life comes without a cost... I'm going to really miss hanging out with some people in these parts.... I had some big plans of how to spend my time while I was in portland, including frequent visits to Greg in Corvallis, evenings with Theresa, Linnea and Sarah, going to knit night on thursdays at the knit/purl store downtown, taking a knitting class around the corner for 6 weeks... and i had my comfty apartment to come back to, with a hot tub. It wasn't goign to be fun to be without Paul, but I was planning on making hte best of it. Now I have all new things to be disappointed about... oh well, say la vee.

Paul went overboard for my birthday, (setting the bar high for his birthday on Dec 14th), but I have to say he really made a nice presentation of it all:

Everything had to do with tea, or warm fuzzy things (gloves, socks, etc). Everything was exactly something I would pick out myself. He's so good! I was so thrilled.... my birthday turned out to be a pretty darn good one. Except for the getting older part....

The next few weeks are filled with many many things. Trying to hang out with friends i won't see for a while, packing and throwing junk away, the Academy conference (oct 24th - oct 28th i'll be in florida), and finishing up things in clinic. it's gonna be another crazy whirlwind that picks me up and carries me back to Reedley.... i guess i'll be ready for it when i get there, but i'm not quite ready for the uprooting/moving/rerooting process yet.

2 more weeks of clinic, but since i'm going to that conference, only 7 more days (after today!)

No comments: