Clinic is.... well, if you asked me on monday or tuesday I would have said I despised it. I was so frustrated! Not only with the inefficiency that is inherent to all Pacific clinics, but because I feel like I'm being baby sat, and am 7 months from becoming a licensed optometrist!!! The attendings are there to catch our mistakes and guide us in the management of patients, but sometimes they just takeover. Monday I had a patient come in with a piece of metal in his eye, and I was excited to get the opportunity to remove it (using my scary looking tools, with names like 'spud' and 'alger brush'). Well, the attending Dr. gave me about 30 seconds to try it and then he jumped in and there was no turning back. He claimed it was 'too deep', but if it wasn't that deep then it wouldn't be stuck in the eye!!! I really wanted to remove the rust ring that was left (it looked like this), but he wouldn't let me do that either. I was so pissed at the missed opportunity for practice, and I felt like the Pacific clinic really failed me that day.
Somehow, clinic got better throughout the week. I saw a couple kids on wednesday for VT who are so adorable, and i hope to get a little +8.00 aniso hyperope (super far-sighted in one eye only) into a contact lens soon. I'm still working on my spanish, and today a patient and I had a good laugh over my use of the word 'bottiglio' (which doesn't exist) and a few other spanish words that I created. Tomorrow is the slowest clinic day of all, but I will have a wonderful reward at the end of the day when I see my SISTER and meet her new beau!!! She surprised me with a last minute visit and I am thrilled about it. We are even going to try to stop in to the Rockaway beach picnic this weekend...
Our weekends have suddenly become a flurry of activity. I love it! And the weather is turning to fall (finally!) and i am still savouring the cloudy, rainy day we had today. I just love this cozy weather.... makes me want to knit!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment