Thursday, July 12, 2007

Building character

In an office that seems so fully staffed with people, I never would have thought that having two people gone could make such a huge difference.

One of hte doctors and the office manager (who knows everything) were gone for the last 3 days, both with their own emergencies that prevented them from being there. They tried to put as many patients as they could on my schedule, and on my lunchbreaks I dispensed and adjusted glasses. Also, I had a series of contact lens difficult-y patients, VT patients, red eye visits, etc. The end result: total chaos in my brain, getting behind on charting and thinking every day, and complete and total exhaustion at the end of every day. I felt as useful as a pile of fly-covered cow dung. I learned a lot from my crazy experiences, but it was not that much fun to go through....

TODAY will be different. The other doctor is back. I will get lots of my endless questions answered ('What am I doing wrong? Why can't I get a reliable overrefraction for this contact lens patient? Is that a retinal detachment? Should I use an antibiotic? Where did THAT come from? Will it hurt me? etc etc....)

Now that you are caught up, I can tell you about my weekend. I went rafting with Monica and Ryan and friends!!! It was a blast, and I got a good sunburn, and we had a great time camp-cooking (4 coleman burners) and drinking by the river. (No, I didn't go swimming in it.) The rapids we rafted were pretty good, and plenty of people went in but only two from our raft on the first day. The second day, we didn't lose anybody! That's most due to Ryan's excellent raft guide skills.

Pictures:
The Sunday run crew

A skinny man pretending to be fat. Ha!


I'm moving to Beaverton. Living in Salem is pointless, it's almost as long of a drive from silverton. Oh well, live and learn. And now I get to have dinner with my sweetheart every night, and go climbing, and things will be great (as soon as I figure out how we are going to fit all our stuff into that tiny apartment... yikes)

No comments: