Tuesday, February 20, 2007

love in the time of pneumonia

Life as a third year optometry student is a bit busier than I expected, but I still have found time to relax a bit. March and April will be especially busy, and after that life as I know it will turn upside down (ie rotations start)

There are things that happen to a person that reminds them of their mortality. Specifically, events can remind them what their weakness is. Apparently, my lungs have the capacity to become a petrie dish and cough factory without a warning. A few weeks ago I got pneumonia, and I have a very weak theory as to how I got it. It involves a vision screening of kindergardeners (but I was really good about washing my hands!) and a few days later went on a bike ride where i sprinted and wheezed and sucked down a lot of cold air. HOW does that give me pneumonia? Well, I'm on the last day of my antibiotics, and feeling better (except for a sore side; I strained my intercostal/rib muscles from coughing so hard).

So while i was sick, i was bored. and coughing. And i wanted distractions. So I made a mancala board out of a cardboard box, bubble wrap, and a hot glue gun. We have since replaced the jelly bellies with almonds (less sticky).










Then came the mother of all hallmark holidays: Valentine's. I know I'm supposed to reject such commercial and traditional notions, but I couldn't help get caught up in it. But just because it's our first V-day... this won't become a habit. In any case, Paul (the sweetheart that he is) got me a bonzai tree, as well as 25 boxes of sweethearts candy. That may sound strange, but since i mentioned about 5 times how much i love that candy, it proves that he is listening.


Now that my lungs are no longer infected with horribleness and the semester is getting more demanding, i am still spending the same amount of time indoors. Almost every class has a project or presentation or test coming up, so there is much to do. And i want to do as much as possible before Greg comes to visit in a couple. I am housing him while he finds out what interesting paths life has in store for him. It's going to be so much fun to have Greg around again... but more fun if I didn't have all these assignments due around the same time. Doh.

No comments: