The era of midterms is over!!! I feel like I just got out of jail... I don't have to seek out quiet and well-lit places to force myself to read until my brain wants to melt. YAH!!!!!! And it's sunny outside!!! (although very very cold...)
The last three weeks of midterms all turned out okay, too... I passed them all, at least. And with my sanity intact (although some may beg to differ. Beg away!)
Today for Anterior Segment Disease lab, we had some patients (real live patients!) come in with actual eyeball situations, and we all got to observe. They all had non-progressive cases, just some kind of interesting condition. One gentleman (the most interesting) had a truck accident 30 years ago that severed his optic nerve of his right eye. He was kind enough to drive 1.5 hours (each way)to let us shine bright lights in his eyes... on 3 separate occasions!!! He seemed genuinely interested in the whole process, so I asked him if he'd ever been on the other side of a slit lamp, and if he'd like to. So after lab was over and we ahd some down time, I grabbed an unsuspecting classmate (Thanks Ariene!) and we showed him what we can see through the slit lamp. He was really fascinated with it, and it was SO fun to teach someone about something I love so much. It got me all fired up about what I'm doing here at school..... I get to look at EYEBALLS all day. It literally is my dream job. I'm so damn lucky. I just wish my dream job cost a little less to learn about.....
This saturday I'll be volunteering for a screening that is associated with the local Special Olympics... it's a great opportunity because there is a huge patient base (i'm not sure how big, but there will be about 20ish volunteers examining eyes from 10-4!). We will get to see a lot more anomalies... and it's always exicting when you are examining someone other than an optometry student.
Next week..... CALIFORNIA!!!!! Where it's sunny all the time and eveyrone surfs and wears bikini's to work. Umm.... not exactly. But I do get to go to the beach, and see friends AND family, and have Tom meet all of them. I've already started prepping him... I figure it takes about a week of preparative therapy and it will probably take months of post traumatic therapy once we get home. ;) It's all worth it, though....
Thanksgiving can't get here soon enough.
1 comment:
Hmmmm. I never thought of wearing a bikini to work. It'd be comfortable, wouldn't snag on things, and would cover up all my pointy bits! Sheer genius!
Post a Comment