Well at least we weren't taken by surprise quite as much when Clayton arrived early. The fun started with 1 week of crazy braxton-hicks that had me worried and on partial bed rest, then 36 hours of 'early labor' contractions that put me on full bed rest. So we were a little more mentally ready for his appearance when he finally arrived on March 11th at 10:12 am after 12+ hours of active labor. Although he was born at the hospital due to his early arrival (35w and 6days, full term is 37w), I am not at all dissappointed. I got the unmedicated birth that I wanted, I was able to labor in the water for a while, and I had no interventions aside from continuous fetal monitoring. I also had my amazing midwives Kathryn and Gina there to help me through it all, and the best hospital midwife at Denver Health attending the birth! Fortunately Clayton was born healthy, crying and pink and needed no interventions. The hospital midwife shooed away the pediatrics people who were ready to whisk him away for an exam, and she put him on to my chest where he stayed for an hour... and he nursed right away! The relief that I felt in that moment was so immense. I wasn't pregnant anymore, I wasn't in labor or in pain at all, he was healthy and alert, and he was nursing right away! It was such a wonderful moment.
Picture time! First, here's my last belly shot taken 4 days before his arrival.
 |
| 35w 2d |
Now I'll share some pictures of Clayton and his arrival into the world.
 |
| Minutes after birth |
 |
| Alert and cuddling |
 |
| Dad cutting the cord |
 |
Spent a little time on the warmer. Stats: 5lbs 4oz, 18in long. APGAR 8 |
 |
| The next day, big sister meets little brother |
 |
| The whole family. Now we are complete! |
 |
| "Look at my baby brother, he's so tiny! Look at his tiny nose!" |
 |
| Proud and happy big sister |
 |
| Hadley with Dylan (6w) came to visit |
 |
| 10 minutes of sun to help with mild jaundice |
 |
| I see eyes! Awake times are fleeting |
 |
| Who does he look like so far? |
 |
| Beautiful pic of him with my mom |
Today he is 12 days old and already up to 5lbs 13oz, well past his birth weight! I'm so thrilled to see him growing, although I'm really enjoying the sleepy newborn snuggles. He is such a chill baby, only crying when hungry or having his diaper changed. We couldn't ask for more, we feel so lucky and so incredibly happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment