Monday, August 17, 2009

Working away the summer

We went furniture shopping last week. Still don't have money to buy anything, but it's fun to look at stuff that is actually nice, I think we're done with particle board forever!!!


Paul and I have gotten increasingly busy lately. Here's a synopsis of our job situations.

I have 4 places of work besides fill-in. I haven't started at the Golden office yet although I'm doing lots of paperwork and planning for it. Once I get rolling, here's my schedule:

Monday: every other week work at Pearle vision
Tuesday: Boulder vision therapy practice (busy VT schedule)
Wednesday: Office meeting in Golden in AM, drive 1 hour to Niwot vision therapy practice, work until 7pm (with busy VT schedule)
Thursday: 1/2 day in Golden practice
Friday: 1/2 day in Niwot practice
Saturday: 1/2 day in Golden practice

Now, it's obvious that eventually something has gotta give, and I think it should be one of the VT practices, boulder or niwot. It's going to be tough, since I've taken on VT patients, weekly patients, cute kids who get attached as do their parents. I might let the Pearle vision one go, but having a laid-back optical fill-in job is kinda nice, it's lower stress than the other VT practices and less hectic. Soooo... that's yet to be decided.

Yesterday Paul and I went to an office party thrown by the owner of the Golden practice, and it was definitely one of the most interesting office parties I've been to. They have a water fight every year, complete with an array of water guns and hoses borrowed from the neighbor's yards. It basically turned into a hose fight, and they the ultimate goal seemed to be to ambush someone and dumb a garbage can full of water on their head. It was such a blast!!! After everyone changed and got dry, we ate great food and visited. It was a really good opportunity to get to know the staff there, a bunch of really friendly people. And yes, I had a bucket of water dumped on my head 3 times, once by Paul, I think he really enjoyed it. :)

So that's the summary of my life. Here's what's going on in Paul's work life:

Monday: still waiting for applications to come through so he can work at hospitals, but for now he has this day off.
Tuesday and Thursday: Working at private practice that is... less than desirable (see below)
Wednesday and Friday: Working at his dream practice, surrounded by adoring older women ;)

The first day Paul worked at his Tues/Thursday job (henceforth referred to as 'The dreaded practice'), he was really frustrated with the electronic medical records (the system is called 'Officemate') and he was even more frustrated with the owner's wife who is the 'office manager' or better know in our house as 'psycho tyrant woman'. She won't let him use his cell phone in the office, or the internet, and tells him how to manage patients, and belittles him in front of patients. So the second day he worked there, I get a text message that reads: "Might have to destroy office mate and (psycho tyrant woman). Has it been a month yet? Gonna go crazy!" I'm sorry, but I laughed my butt off. Paul is SO FUNNY when he's angry!!! It's really quite cute... Anyway, lately he is handling the situation okay, it's been 2 weeks, but he's counting down the days so he can work there a month and say he gave it a fair shot, then quit.

We are not all work, though! This weekend we're going hiking, biking and climbing, cause we both have the weekend off. Horray!!! I'll try to remember to bring my camera and take pics, instead of the recent half-ass iphone pics. :)

No comments: