Thursday, April 05, 2007

spring break report

Spring break is over, and we are at the end... FINALLY at the end... of the last semester of my life. Everything feels like it is suspended, I'm just waiting for it all to happen. At least I know that I have an apartment to move into after finals. I have a cute place in south Salem, 1 bedroom apartment with a balcony (i adore balconies). I also know where I'll be living for my second rotation, thank goodness. Paul and I got an apartment in Tigard (Beaverton, pretty much) and it's in a perfect, quiet little location. We might be able to keep it for the whole year, although we'll only live there together for 3 months. Lots of jumping around, moving, shifting, changing, every three months pull out your thin roots and pack up your dwindling necessities and go to the next job where you pay to work there. I really hope they weren't lying when they said 4th year is fabulous, cause they sure didn't tell the truth about 3rd year being a cakewalk.

Besides thesis project and apartment hunting, I did get to have some fun over spring break. Here are some pictures from the hike to silver falls, outside silverton. We did a 9 mile loop that took us past 10 waterfalls. They were so huge and full of water!!!!




The first picture you have to rotate your head 135 degrees to see correctly. The third: yes, is Paul about to walk behind a huge waterfall. That last picture is what happens when you are concentrating really hard to get two heads and a waterfall in the picture with your camera phone. By the way, the above are all camera phone pictures... turned out pretty well, eh?

Today we did most of the final data collecting for our thesis project, seeing how cyclist like Nike Maxsight lenses. One of our professors, Dr. Kundart, was fitted with lenses, and wrote a little blog about his experiences called 'Musing of a Microstrab'. By the way, the microstrab thing has nothing to do with the lenses, just an optometry quirk. Anyway, all of contact fittings went really well today, and afterward 8 of us went on a bike ride with our red eyes. I should put up some close up pictures of what our eyes looked like, cause it's pretty freaky, but for now all I have is this group pic. Unfortunatley, the Easter weather was not ideal for a bike ride or else I think more people would have showed up...

However, I do have a close-up pic of myself with contact lenses on for someone else's thesis project. Some classmates are studying the effects of occluding contact lenses (for people with double vision that won't go away with any prisms or therapy, usually because of a car accident or stroke). So I got a nice picture of myself with one black contact lens on...

So much is going on right now, and this upcoming week will be busier than finals. I have more to write, but I'll try to do that in another post soon. I'll put up a schedule with my locations over the next year. My phone number will remain the same, but I still don't know what I'm going to do with my mailing address. I know I sound like an old fart, but I really am just ready to settle down someplace. Here, colorado, wherever.... I just want someplace i can set up camp for longer than a year! oh well, next thing you know I'll be complaining about being bored in the town I live in and wanting to move again. Go figure.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... over spring break, I also did a hike along the coast with Greg and Eden. We camped during the middle of the week when the weather was a little questionable, which means we had the whole area to ourselves. It was a wonderful couple of days, and Eden cooked some amazing dinners on Greg's little 40+ year old Coleman camp stove. Paul and decided to try out our new backpacks, so we loaded them up with whatever we could find (phone books, water jugs, etc) and headed for the train up to Cape Lookout. It was 2.5 miles straight up, and then another 2.5 miles out along the cape to the point. Paul and I were feeling the elevation change, and he got some beautiful blisters. For the first time I hiked in boots that didn't give me blisters, though! And we both love our backpacks, and can't wait until we can fill them with things we actually need.








The things that are really taking up space in the worrying-section of my brain are NOT school and grades... I have come to accept the fact that B's are okay, and it really takes a lot of the stress away from school (why didn't I think of this earlier?). Instead, I'm waiting for news about the people in my life. I really want Paul to get the internal rotation that he wants. I really want Eden to find a happy place to live in Seattle, and another job she enjoys. And more than ANYTHING I want for Greg to get into grad school, because he deserves it more than any other marnie-bio loving, barnacle-studying, plankton-obsessed, salty sailor nerd-type that exists, dammit.

That's all for rants right now. I hope everyone is doing well and happy and having a wonderful easter. ciao...

No comments: